Dual enrollment is a program that allows high school students (usually juniors and seniors) to enroll in college courses for credit prior to high school graduation. This allows students to transition from high school to college easily. Students can get a taste of what college is like without being completely overwhelmed with a whole new environment.
To Qualify for Dual Enrollment Students must meet minimum scores on a standardized test. See page three of the WCS Dual Enrollment Step #1 document for details. Note: PSAT & SAT scores can be found on your collegeboard.org account.
To Apply for Dual Enrollment
Note: the first semester application deadline is June 1, and the second semester application deadline is November 1.
STEP A Obtain a copy of your qualifying test score (see above).
STEP B Select classes that interest you. The district may pay tuition for college courses that are: (1) not offered at the local high school, (2) not a hobby, craft, or recreational course, and (3) not a course in physical or religious education.
Click on course names for available sections & times
Select classes that meet at convenient times and locations.
STEP C (for first time dual enrollment students only) Before students and parents first apply to participate in the dual enrollment program, they must first read the following document and complete the attached form.
For additional assistance, please contact your school counselor. For assistance during the month of July only, contact the curriculum office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 586-698-4759
After your WCS dual enrollment forms have been approved
For RETURNING Dual Enrollment students: 1. REGISTER FOR CLASSES – Once registration opens/student is eligible to register in July, register in Student Planning. Returning students who took classes in 2019-20 will be assigned a date/time to begin registering during the week of July 6.
For NEW Dual Enrollment students: 1. CREATE ACCOUNT/APPLY - A new student should apply here – www.macomb.edu/apply and select “New to Macomb.”
He/she will create an admission account and then submit the application within the account. We encourage students to use a NON-high school email address when applying.
NOTE - On the second page of the app (Demographics & Plans section), for the “When I attend Macomb, I will be a/an” – the student should choose Early Admit/Dual Enrollment High School Student.
2. APPLICATION CONFIRMATION - The student will receive an email when the application has been received.
3. APPLICATION PROCESSED - The student will receive a second email that contains the student’s Macomb ID number when the application has been processed. Note that there will be a delay for Fall 2020 applications, are we are not yet processing applications submitted after 3.19.20.
4. ADMISSION ACCOUNT - the student would login to the Admission Account to view the steps required to be admitted. The REQUIRED steps for a dual enrolled student are New Student Orientation, Starting at Macomb Session, and Placement Testing.
5. ADMITTED - Once the student has completed all three steps, he/she will receive an email confirming their admission to Macomb.
6. ACTIVATE STUDENT ACCOUNT – Finally, the student is directed to activate his/her student account (My Macomb) so that they can register. If a student attempts to activate the account before they receive the “You’re Admitted” email, they will receive an error message, as the account will not yet be created.
7. REGISTER FOR CLASSES – Once registration opens/student is eligible to register in July in Student Planning (new student registration dates always be found here- Important Dates).
Early College of Macomb
Early College is similar to Dual Enrollment, but requires a much greater commitment from students and parents.
The application window for the Early College of Macomb is January to February of the 10th grade year only.
For information, speak with your counselor before January of 10th grade, or visit the website below.